.

.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Denny's

As a college student, I feel it is important to find the time to make some really stupid decisions that often lead to adventure and hilarity. The truly impressive aspect of this is that - unlike college students at any university other than BYU - these decisions are made without an ounce of alcohol in my system. Go me. Monday night (to Tuesday morning) was one of these fatal errors.

As most people know, this morning was the free Grand Slam promotion thing-a-ma-jig. And with college kids, free food is like a scholarship. I don't really know how I made that comparison, but I'm suffering from a serious lack of sleep. But basically, my friends and I were watching the Super Bowl (Saints? eh) and decided that we really, really needed a free Grand Slam. And considering Jordan needed to be at work by 7, we had to get there early. Like... eight and a half hours early.

That's right. We spent the night. At Denny's.

So Monday night at around 9:30 we arrived to find... absolutely nobody there. Sweet! First in line, suckas. So we set up camp (there was a tent involved, but it was never used because I think it was meant for a small child) and waited. And waited. And waited. And at first we were thinking, "haha, it's kind of cold but this is awesome." But by the end of the night we were screaming, "if I don't get my free food and some warmth real soon, I'm going to resort to cannibalism. Also, I think my foot needs to be amputated." Cause you know what's weird? Utah is cold. Especially in February. At night.

Other highlights of the night:
1. Jordan won Phase 10... lame, I was robbed.
2. Wonderful lady who got us HUGE cups of hot chocolate
3. Drunk guy who tried to steal our stuff because he thought we were moochers
4. Other guys finally coming to camp behind us at one in the morning
5. The several times that I went to the bathroom so I could be warm in Denny's
6. The millions of people that showed up for free grand slams
7. The fact that we were third on the list even though we waited for EIGHT AND A HALF HOURS. I hate people
8. When I finally got my Grand Slam and it took me approximately three minutes to devour and then realize that holy [every word I can think of] I'm tired, and we were the first ones out of the restaurant.

Yeah... a lot of stuff happened.
I will never do this again. But I'm really glad I did. Andrew said he felt like we were hobbits who had just gone through so much together that we were forever linked through this bond. I agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment