.

.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Coaches

In Europe, there was a whole heck of a lot of time spent on coaches. Yes, coaches. Bow to my British-ness. Anyway, lots of time is what I'm talking about. If I had a talent in estimating, I would give you a number of how many hours. But I don't. Many many hours. These were sometimes really great times, and sometimes really awful, depending on morale, health, sleep deprivation, and of course the coolness level of the driver. There was much bonding on these coach rides. There was deep soul searching, carsickness, karaoke, and of course some serious conversation (mostly about boys). I think if it had not been for the coaches, I would not know these girls quite as well as I do, and I'm so thankful for that time, even though it got a little overwhelming at times.

One of my favorite things was when I got to be on the coach alone. Obviously, I was never actually alone. But there were certain times when every single person fell asleep, and I would wake up and realize that everyone around me was down for the count. This was a time when I would sit and think. I could keep to myself and take in the beauty that constantly surrounded me. Beauty like this:

You can even see the reflection of my camera. Trust me, it was prettier in person. I wouldn't listen to my iPod or try to find out if anyone else was awake to talk to. It was so calm, so serene, and was made even more special by the fact that I rarely had time to myself.

It's not about avoiding people, or not wanting to talk to them. It's just about those few minutes out of the day when I could wrap my head around the fact that I was traveling through England or Ireland or wherever we were, and I was so happy to be there.

And when that time was over, when the others woke up and broke out into a rousing verse of "Single Ladies," it was even more fun, because I had a new sense of appreciation for it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment